Saturday, February 5, 2011

Not So Fun Run - Race Report

Race Report for the Llano Not So Fun Race!

Got up at 6:30 and rousted my daughter and her boy friend at 6:45 so we could head up to Llano for their second annual Not so Fun Race.  We drove up from Kerrville and got there about 8:45 and picked up our race packects.  It was chilly and windy, but the sky was blue and the sun was out, so it was bearable.  Soon we were called to the starting line and the horn sounded and we began our 1 mile adventure.

We had all signed up for the 1 mile race (run/walk were combined for all events),  there was also a 5K and a 10K.  We signed up for the mile for a couple reasons, my wife was going to try her first race and she hadn't had much time to train, also somewhere we read that they call it the Not So Fun Run, because of all the hills make it "not so fun", so the "kids" decided to just run the shorter distance too.  Since she couldn't make due to health reasons, I decided to try to run the race!

Daughter's new "shoes"
I started near the back of the pack, and soon lost sight of the "kids" as we left Badu Park and headed up the first hill.  I jogged for the first 7:40 and then walked for about a 90 seconds and then ran the rest of the way.  My time was 11:49.  Imagine my surprise when my kids met me at the finish line told me I finished 3rd, "right behind" them  (ok 2 + minutes behind them).  But it was awesome that we finished 1-2-3  (out of 14 participants) and we each took first place in our age divisions.  Yeah Team "Michigan"

After we finished we walked back to the car and the kids put on long pants over their running shorts and we decided to finish walking the 5K.  We did just that and I stopped and took several pictures(see below)  and we finished the 5K around 58:04  

We finished and waited for the 10K'ers to finish and the rewards to be handed out.  We all proudly accepted our medals, posed for the group picture and then headed home to look for some Texas Bar B Q!

In summary we found the small, informal "Not So Fun Run" to very much be a lot of fun!

My daughter and Tom

THE landmark of the race

A fund raising buck!


We were #1-2-3!

Tom's turn

Me getting my reward

Erica getting her 1st Place medal!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment